Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Lance Gamma RG500 Big Bore Kit First Impression

5th gear jumps off a wave in the pavement!  Same wave that used to make the front end light when I was getting it on caused both ends to skip off the ground for an instant.  It was accelerating so hard it didn't have time to lift the front before the back hit it so the whole bike got a little air.  No matter how hard I ride my Speed Triple it just soaks up this pavement wave and progresses forward.  The Lance Gamma Big Bore Kit has moved my Gamma into another realm of performance.

It also starts easier.  I've started this bike many times since I got it on 1985.  It has been through three sets of heads in the search for more performance.  Four sets of heads total, as the Big Bore Kit comes with o-ring heads having reshaped combustion chambers.  The bike now starts with less effort and more gusto than it ever has.   Here's a video of starting it after installing the Big Bore Kit. It is easy to see the engine is happy and wants to run with this setup.

It is more mellow when riding around imitating a normal bike with the Big Bore Kit than before.  The exhaust note isn't quite as abrasive.  The throttle isn't as picky at low around-town revs as it used to be.  It's almost 4Stroke-like now at legal speeds.

So, it starts easier, putt-putts in a more relaxed manner, while feeding steroids to the beast when given the stick.  When I get on it the Big Bore Kit it takes off with more gusto than anything I've ever ridden.  This is the most satisfying engine upgrade I've ever done.

There will be a whole series of posts detailing various assembly steps.  Closeup images of parts will be included, as in the RG500 Crankcase Splitting post I made a while ago.  For today I'm just going to post the bottom line: Lance Gamma Big Bore Kit Rocks!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice, do You know if this kit has any power claims? do you have spec? carbs? jetting? air filter? pipes?

    Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Gamma has its own story. This blog is going to tell some of my bike's adventures. This series opened with a description of a riding event I greatly enjoyed (5th gear leap off a pavement wave). I also mentioned having recently upgraded my engine. I'm more interested in doing my own thing than answering questions about another man's business and products.

    I'm describing my personal experiences in this blog with some stuff I use, like Permatex Thread Repair. I'm not going to be pricing out the stuff I talk about. Other people do that better :-)

    If you want to know the details of the metal bits in the Lance gamma Big Bore Kit then I suggest contacting the man who made them, at http://www.lancegamma.com/

    ReplyDelete