Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

NoToil Filter Oil

I tried NoToil filter oil in 2005.  It’s vegetable based which makes it biodegradable.  They have a very impressive web site  http://www.notoil.com/  

The oil never “dried”.  It kept drooling out the airbox drain.

Puddles of oil on the floor bother me.  I went back to regular filter oil.

Perhaps the oil formulation has changed since 2005.  I'm all for environmental friendliness.  I always line my airbox with Bel Ray Waterproof Grease http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-waterproof-grease  as a dust catcher.  Any grit that hits the grease never gets to the air filter.  Makes the filter last longer between cleanings.  

I also put some grease downstream of the filter.  This grease ought to stay clean and shiny.  If it doesn't the filter is not getting the job done.  Or the filter's base is poorly sealed against the airbox.  Or it's a K&N filter ;-)

NoToil worked fine as far as catching grit.  The intake tract downstream of the filter was clean.  I just didn't like the oil spot under the bike caused by the never-drying NoToil Filter Oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment