Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Heli Coil No More - Permatex Stripped Thread Repair Kit instead

Steel bolts going into aluminum threads assures occasional thread destruction.  Either an overzealous tightening or just aging can make any given aluminum thread fail.  Heli coils are the traditional repair method.  This problem only happens to me every couple of years, so I've never bought the heli coil tools.  The result is every time I need one I have to take the piece to a machinist's shop.  Once the piece gets to a shop I have to wait a few days while he does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

I was looking for something else in the on line catalog of Parts Unlimited (http://www.parts-unlimited.com/home/home.do;jsessionid=45252E76C6B79EFE23BD4B39FCF04ED5) when I stumbled upon the Permatex Stripped Thread Repair (http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/thread_compounds/thread_repair/Permatex_Stripped_Thread_Repair.htm).  Looked a lot easier than hauling my XR350 to a bike-friendly machinist I finally found to have a clutch cover thread in the crankcase repaired.  Best $15 I ever spent.  Here's all I had to do http://www.permatex.com/videos/video_strippedthreadrepair_eng.html  Much easier!

It's holding just fine.  Torqued just like normal.  The cover stopped weeping oil from that area.  This is so 21st Century, I love it!  Highly recommended.

3 comments:

  1. A leaky kickstart shaft seal necessitated removal of the clutch cover. The bike has been run for a while and I was a little concerned it might have exceeded the thread repair's temperature threshold. No worries, they are still perfect.

    One tube of this stuff co$ts less than having a single heli-coil installed. I have fixed three holes so far and still have lots of the kit left. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thread Repair is easy with the HTS-2000 second-generation brazing rod. If you're looking for a helicoil thread repair alternative you've come to the right place. Aluminumrepair is a helicoil thread repair provider who gives you an intense repair services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U done a great Job by posting this useful information, thanks a lot for this. I also want to show u more interesting quality of
    Helicoil Thread Repair Kit

    ReplyDelete